Scott Atkinson is a veteran employment litigator and counselor, representing companies and individuals in their most challenging matters. He is a tenacious, creative advocate with extensive jury trial, arbitration, and appellate experience. Scott’s practice includes complex discrimination, retaliation, and harassment cases, internal investigations, wage and hour class actions, and high stakes trade secrets and employee mobility disputes. As a counselor, Scott works with his clients to build corporate cultures that avoid problems in the first place through effective policies, practices, and trainings.
Prior Work Experience
Seyfarth Shaw LLP, San Francisco, CA (Senior Counsel, Labor & Employment Department) (2016-2020)
Represented clients in the technology, health care, temporary staffing, insurance, and food and beverage industries. Litigated disputes collectively worth hundreds of millions of dollars, including wage and hour, wrongful termination, harassment, whistleblower retaliation, trade secrets, and unfair competition. Carved out a niche as one of very few attorneys in the State of California with extensive experience defending audits brought by the San Francisco Office of Labor Standards Enforcement to enforce compliance with the city’s myriad employment-related ordinances, including the Health Care Security Ordinance (HCSO), Paid Sick Leave Ordinance (PLSO), and Paid Parental Leave Ordinance (PPLO).
Carr McClellan PC, Burlingame, CA (Director, Litigation Department) (2010-2016)
Represented companies in the technology, real estate, food and beverage, and financial industries in a variety of employment, trade secret misappropriation, and other business disputes.
O’Melveny & Myers LLP, San Francisco, CA (Associate, Litigation Department) (2007-2010)
Represented Fortune 500 companies and government entities in litigation, including employment discrimination and retaliation, antitrust, and fraud cases.
- Rising Star (Northern California), Super Lawyers (2013-present)
Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., 2007
- Senior Notes Editor, VANDERBILT LAW REVIEW
Duke University, A.B. (Public Policy, cum laude), 2004
- All California and Washington State Courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Western District of Washington
- California (2007)
- Washington State (2018)
- American Bar Association
- California Lawyers Association, Intellectual Property Section
Publications (Partial List)
- Co-Author, “Washington State Governor Signs Law Severely Limiting Non-Competes,” One Minute Memo, Seyfarth Shaw LLP (May 15, 2019)
- “Social Spoliation,” The California Lawyer(August 2013)
- “Note: The Outer Limits of Gang Injunctions,” 59 VAND. L. REV. 1693 (2006
Presentations (Partial List)
- Co-presenter, “Protecting Trade Secrets from Cyber and Other Threats,” Webinar, presented by Seyfarth Shaw LLP (July 24, 2018)
- “Trade Secret Audits: You can’t protect what you don’t know you have,” Webinar, presented by Seyfarth Shaw LLP (November 16, 2016)
- “Trading Secrets: How to Protect IP Rights in the Age of Employee Mobility,” Association of Corporate Counsel San Francisco Bay Chapter (September 24, 2014)
Civic & Charitable
- Community Gatepath (board of directors, 2011-2018; CEO’s advisory council, 2019-present)