Barbara L. Harris Chiang, an experienced employment litigator and counselor, represents companies ranging from small startups to Fortune 500 companies and everything in between. She represents clients in employment matters including harassment, discrimination, retaliation, wage and hour class and PAGA actions from the pre-litigation stage through resolution in federal and state courts, arbitration, and before administrative agencies. Her vast employment litigation experience enhances her ability to provide novel solutions and practical advice for clients seeking to comply with the ever-changing myriad of employment laws.
Prior Work Experience
Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck, LLP, San Francisco, CA (Partner) (2016-2021)
Practiced in all areas of employment litigation, including wrongful termination, breach of contract, federal and state discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, the American’s with Disabilities Act, reductions in force, wage and hour, class actions, and PAGA actions.
Provided advice and counsel to management on hiring processes, background checks, employee privacy rights, leaves of absence, the interactive process, accommodations, wage and hour matters, handbooks, employee discipline, terminations, reductions in force, severance agreements, the Family Medical Leave Act, the California Family Rights Act, COVID-19 employment related matters, and compliance with city ordinances governing employees.
Prevented and defended claims before the EEOC, DFEH, California Department of Labor Standards Enforcement, and courts, in all areas of employment law. Such matters include Equal Pay Act claims, conducting audits to comply with Equal Pay Act laws and regulations.
Served on Diversity and Inclusion and Mentorship Committees.
Dillingham & Murphy, LLP, San Francisco, CA (Partner) (2000-2016)
Represented employers in employment litigation with extensive experience in wrongful termination, breach of contract, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Family Medical Leave Act, Title VII,
Fair Employment & Housing Act, reductions in force, wage and hour issues, including class actions, privacy rights, and trade secrets. Trial and appellate work in state and federal courts, administrative hearings and arbitrations. Also provided general employment advice and preventative counseling including wage and hour matters, contract and severance negotiations, personnel policies and procedures, employment. agreements, handbooks, confidentiality and non-compete agreements.
Missouri Attorney General’s Office, Jefferson City, MO (Investigator) (2002-2004)
Consumer Protection Division, Investigator, Conducted investigations into consumer complaints and white-collar fraud.
- University Of Missouri-Kansas City School Law
- Missouri State University
- All California and Missouri State Courts
- United States Court for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District Of Missouri
- United States District Court for the Northern District Of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District Of California
- United States District Court for the Central District Of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District Of California
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
- National Conference of Women’s Bar Associations, Board Member (2012-2013), Treasurer (2013-2014), Vice President (2014-2017);
- Queen’s Bench, President (2009), First Vice President (2008), Second Vice President (2007), Secretary (2006), Assistant Secretary/Treasurer (2005), Director-At-Large (2004), co-chair Business Development Committee (2002 – 2004);
- Queen’s Bench Foundation, President (2010);
- Bar Association of San Francisco Fee Dispute Arbitrator (2013-present).
Presentations (Partial List)
- The COVID-19 Vaccine and Your Workplace (April 2021)
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act (April 2020)
- Speaker Lorman Education Services (2004-2007), At-Will Employment, Sexual Harassment, Lawful Terminations Marin Human Resources Forum Legal Updates
- Law360 Posts Analysis of Rest Breaks Decision – Jan 12, 2017
- California Employees Must Have Uninterrupted Rest Breaks, SHRM, Jan 6, 2017 (quoted)
- Calif. High Court Scrutinizes On-Call Rest Breaks – Oct 21, 2016
Civic & Charitable
- San Francisco Merionettes (Board of Directors 2015-2021, Vice-President 2017-2018, President 2018-2021)
- St. Stephen Women’s Guild (Treasurer 2011-2013)